Dinner at El Mar Restaurant in San Carlos

When our new neighbors joined us for dinner after a hot Tuesday out fishing, we picked El Mar, a restaurant with air conditioning. No regrets.

We followed our friend's recommendation and ordered the tortilla soup, which my husband and I shared as an appetizer. It was served with a whole plateful of toppings -- cheese, avocado, bacon, onion, a chipotle chile, and a drizzle of sour cream, plus lovely tortilla strips. I definitely recommend it and will be trying that again!

We're a shrimp-loving family, and each of us ordered something with shrimp. The coconut shrimp are huge here -- highly recommend! The shrimp mignon are served sort of like a bacon-wrapped filet mignon -- they made a circle of shrimp, wrapped it in bacon, and topped it with a white cream sauce. Boston shrimp are bacon-wrapped and topped with cheese. All tasty.

Also tasty was my special-of-the-day: chiles rellenos stuffed with shrimp. Now, I am definitely one who prefers my chiles rellenos blistered, battered, fried, and dripping with melted cheese... and this was not that. The poblanos were firm and spicy, the shrimp was perfectly done and not watery, and the cheese was plentiful (yum). I enjoyed it with a glass of wine, which came with the special, but I'd order something different next time.

At the far end of the table, our neighbor was enjoying the tampiqueña, which was on my short list to try. Hopefully next time we're there for dinner! 

We'll be back for Sunday brunch buffet, too. I understand that this weekend, they'll have the mango-chipotle chicken, which our neighbors recommended. Apparently it's only served every other weekend. I also love the omelette bar.

Look, I'm not a food blogger. I didn't even think to take pictures (the one above is from a 2014 blog post by an RV traveler, but it is a good capture of the place). Here's what I can tell you. It's a nice place. The food is fresh. The service is good. The beach view is lovely. There's a bar and some not-giant TVs that are usually tuned to sports -- it's not rowdy. I've never been disappointed when we've eaten here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

San Carlos Pizza Taste Test 2024

Hiking the Tetakawi

Visit Coralito Beach Club for the delicious dinner and sunset views